Click here to read our whitepaper on Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions.
Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions data provides information on any penalty or disciplinary action imposed on a medical professional or agency by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG). These sanctions exclude individuals from participating in federally funded healthcare programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
Excluded individuals have a large negative impact on these programs.
- The U.S. office of Management and Budget (OMB) has estimated that fraud, waste, and abuse have cost Medicaid $17 billion, just over 5 percent of the total program cost.
- A study done by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services found that background checks conducted at medical facilities found 3-22% of applications to be disqualified due to failure to pass background checks.
A Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions search is an important part of screening applicants for healthcare positions, and to help confirm that individuals do not appear on the OIG’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE). The Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions search can reveal if an individual is on the list for the following reasons:
- Federal healthcare program fraud (i.e. Medicare/Medicaid)
- Patient abuse
- Licensing board action
- Default on health education assistance loans
Background Checks with Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions Search
At IntelliCorp, we can combine the Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions search with your criminal package and other products (such as FACIS, Medical License Verifications, Employment and Education searches). By doing so, it will help ensure your organization is complying with Medicare/Medicaid regulations and promoting healthcare industry best practices.
Key benefits of the Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions search:
- Preventative measure against losing federal funding
- Verify claims of program eligibility and prevent penalties for false claims
- Help ensure compliance with regulations and reduce potential risks and liabilities
OIG guidelines state that healthcare organizations cannot employ sanctioned or excluded individuals or vendors. The OIG updates their records monthly, therefore they recommend rescreening employees and contractors at that interval to help make certain that anyone involved with your facility is complaint with Medicare and Medicaid standards.
Use IntelliCorp to rescreen your staff and contractors:
- Self-service batching 24/7 to rescreen your subjects and view the results on our website.
- You determine the frequency of the rescreening process (i.e. monthly, quarterly, annually).
- Achieve confidence in maintaining compliance with Medicare/Medicaid standards and the safety of your healthcare organization, staff and patients.
How do I add the Medicare/Medicaid Sanctions product to my account?
Contact our Client Services Department at 888-946-8355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.