The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a revised Form I-9, and as of September 18, 2017 employers must use the updated version dated 07/17/17 N. The changes to Form I-9 version 07/17/17 N fall into two categories:
Changes to the instructions:
- Changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- Removed “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
Changes to the List of Acceptable Documents
- Added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Sections 2 and 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- Combined all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350, and Form FS-240) into selection C #2 in List C.
- Renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C changed from List C #8 to List C #7.
The USCIS also updated their Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274) to include the changes and make it easier to use. Employers must still follow the storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9s. Click here to learn more.
Form I-9 and E-Verify are an essential part of any organization's on-boarding process. IntelliCorp offers both Form I-9 and E-Verify to help you manage U.S. employment eligibility and related state and federal regulatory compliance for your organization in one central location. Form I-9 and E-Verify are an essential part of any organization's on-boarding process. Knowing your hires are eligible helps promote a sense of security to your organization.
Learn more about our Form I-9 and E-Verify products here.