As a new calendar year begins, it seems like a great time to review an important component of your onboarding process, your background screening program. As you know, background screening can be an effective line of defense from preventing poor hiring decisions. A bad hire can cost an organization with lost productivity, and the time and money associated with a rebooted candidate search.
In order to get the most value from your background screening program, it’s vital to periodically re-examine it to see if you can get even more value. Below are a few ideas and questions to think about:
- Audit your program – review the policies and procedures you have in place when evaluating a candidate.
- Are forms used up-to-date?
- Are screening methods consistent?
- What criteria is used to evaluate results and is it FCRA compliant?
- Are you taking advantage of technology? A good background screening provider will offer tools and services that will drive efficiencies that make a big difference. Some examples include:
- Applicant Tracking System (ATS) integrations.
- Easy ordering and intuitive results dashboard that makes it easy to evaluate candidates.
- Convenient self-service portals that result in improved onboarding experiences for candidates and quicker turnaround times on searches.
- Is the client service your receiving meeting your needs? Great client service can come in many forms, and it’s essential to the success of your program.
- Can you speak with a background screening expert when you need to? Nothing can be more frustrating then when a pressing issue arises, and you can’t find someone who understands the issue to help you. Providers who offer account management teams who are in-house, knowledgeable, and available is a big plus.
- Is it clear your provider is dedicated to your success? That dedication can show itself in many forms such as offering easy access to updated forms used in the screening process, making informational resources readily available to increase your knowledge of what is happening within the industry, and offer training to ensure you maximize the value from your screening program.
- Does your screening provider help you stay legally compliant? Do you feel on your own when it comes to managing your background screening? Are you comfortable enough to navigate the legal complexities? If you are unsure, then maybe it’s time to rethink your program and who your provider is. Having a provider offer guardrails that keep you on the road of compliancy is key. Utilizing a provider who is accredited within the industry by the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA) is a good place to start. The penalties of non-compliance can sometimes be severe, both financially and to your reputation. Taking a chance that your program may not be completely compliant is simply not worth it.
While including background screening in your onboarding process is important, it must be done correctly. By performing program audits and making sure your current provider is offering the level of service you need and expect, you can be sure that you are taking the proper safeguards to protect your organization while at the same time optimizing the results you get from screening.
Learn more about the expertise IntelliCorp offers our clients.
Understand the products and services available to you from IntelliCorp.